WHAT TO BRING
Experienced plein air painters will have their kit ready to go but if you are new to the plein air method
here are some tips and suggestions for what to pack. Don't worry if you have forgotten anything,
we can visit our art supply store in Amman to pick up any extra items or have support materials ready
for you when you arrive if you tell us in enough time. We will provide portable stools for those who
prefer to sit while painting.
1. Travel light and get creative with your choice of materials
2. Use found items to effect - either for collage or as tools
3. Simplify your palette
4. Use your camera, phone or tablet to take reference photos
5. Get a good portable case to hold all your items, a Poche Box is ideal
Materials - Useful to have in your Travel Kit
• Watercolor paper A5, A4 and A3 sizes in a block or a pad (Saunders, Arches or Canson cold press 300gsm medium grain block
(no stretching, clips or backing board needed)
• Slim palette knife - to remove pages from paint block and get insects off your artwork.
• Visual diary or cartridge paper sketch pad for preliminary sketches, notes and colour testing or a bound sketch book.
• Selection of lead and coloured pencils, markers and pastels.
• Staedtler or Rotring waterproof black pigment ink pen 0.3 – 0.5mm tip.
• Small good quality watercolor travel set with inbuilt palettes and a lid.
• Good quality white gouache.
• Quality round watercolor brushes with short handles (easier for packing) and good points, sizes 3, 6, 10; a needle point brush, size 8 and a larger mop or wash brush
• Additional plastic palette for more mixing if needed
• 250g disposable drink container with popper cap or plastic syringe for clean water application to paint and a small artist’s spray bottle
• Collapsible “lantern” water container or other stable light container.
A back pack or bag big enough to carry your sketching, on site painting materials and water
A hat and sunscreen!!·